Innovation, vision, risk, rebellion—these distinguish our most noteworthy young adult books and our most effective ways of promoting and teaching them. They pave the way for literary excellence, creativity, and resistance to the status quo. At the 2016 ALAN Workshop, we’ll celebrate authors, editors, teachers, librarians, critics, and teen advocates who have pushed our field forward through their risk-taking work with YA lit.
We welcome breakout sessions that will spark conversation and inspire new possibilities for reading, writing, teaching, and sharing young adult literature. Proposals may address, but are not limited to, the following questions:
- Who are the authors, editors, or publishers who offer innovative approaches to writing and storytelling? What have their books added to teens’ reading lives, your teaching, or your research? What questions do their books raise? What conversations do they make possible?
- What are you doing in your classroom or library to share YA lit in rebellious or risky ways? How are you working with or against established traditions? How have teens, colleagues, parents, and supervisors responded? What do we gain from taking risks in our reading and teaching? What do we lose?
- How do we call others to join us in developing a bold vision for our work with YA lit and the teens who read it? What can we imagine for the future of YA reading, writing, publishing, and teaching? What do we want? What do we need?
- Breakout sessions will be 50 minutes in length.
- All applicants must be members of ALAN (Assembly on Literature for Adolescents of the National Council of Teachers of English). You can join or renew your membership here.
- Electronic submissions (download the Word document below) are due no later than midnight (CST) on Friday, January 15, 2016 and should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Proposals submitted by mail should be postmarked by Wednesday, January 13, 2016 and sent to: Jennifer Buehler, School of Education, Saint Louis University, 201 Fitzgerald Hall, 3500 Lindell Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63103